Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Resist

Much to my father's chagrin there has yet to be a Rush song thus far in my blog. Well, I could no longer resist the temptation. So I present "Resist":


Growing up I was exposed to copiousa amounts of the Canadian rock gods, Rush. This is probably my favorite Rush song as it is both different from many other Rush songs, and at the same time, a classic example of the enduring qualities of the trio. Many Rush songs are full of sci-fi references, allegory and metaphorsb, "Resist" is much more straightforward though.

The lyrics are simple and elegant. It is easy to resist things, except those that you really want. To resist these things you must fight your temptations and desires. It makes so much sensec and yet reminds you how difficult it is to have self control. The members of Rush can attest to this as they have avoided the pitfalls of rock stardom and stayed out of drugs and alcohol. There are stories of the trio, in their heyday, finishing shows and then reading novels.

Beyond the lyrics Geddy'sd voice is beautiful in this song as he does not reach for notes and is just himself. I do love how he conveys his emotion in Rush songs - you get the feeling that he really believes in what he is singing aboute. The music is also catchy with an unmistakable opening and it just makes me want to:


I cannot talk about Rush without referencing the bromantic comedyf "I Love You Man". When I went to the movie I did not know that Rush was so prominently featured and once I did realize I do not think I stopped laughing. I was taught from a young age that the dashboardh of the car is actually a keyboard and that Neil Peart was god on drums.

"Resist" is featured on the 1996 album "Test for Echo". When I learned that this song was only from 1996 I was actually shocked. I figured it had to be from before I was born. I do not remember not hearing this song on WCMF, but apparently I was 9 when it came out. Regardless, I consider it to be a classic Rush song and if I ever get roped into going to Rush show I would be upset if they did not have this in their setg.

Favorite lyrics: You can fight/Without ever winning/But never ever win/Without a fight

Play count while writing blog: 7

Air instrument played while writing: Guitar

a. This is actually a severe understatement.
b. See "The Trees", a song about Quebec hating maple syrup or something else weird and Canadian.
c. That you might forget they are Canadian.
d. Pronounced "Getty" in Rochesterian.
e. Usually it is probably about hockey and Tim Horton's that he is singing aboot.
f. Yes. Wikipedia called it a "Bromantic Comedy". Yes. I busted out laughing.
g. Like my father was going to be upset if Dave did not play "Tripping Billies" when we saw them at Darien Lake this summer.
h. This video could easily feature my father. I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw this.

No comments:

Post a Comment